Facility and History
The Broadway School of Music & the Arts rents space in a landmark building that originally housed the Hruby Conservatory of Music (1918-1968). The building is prominently positioned in the Broadway Historic District of Cleveland's Slavic Village area. Through the years, the Conservatory served thriving Polish and Bohemian/Czech neighborhoods economically dependent upon the area's steel mills. Ten years after the Conservatory closed its doors, the building was purchased by Dr. Nicholas Demmy and his wife Olean, who lovingly restored it and guided the establishment of the Broadway Branch of the Cleveland Music School Settlement in 1980. In 1983, the organization became an independent non-profit, and later the building was sold to a private individual.
The Broadway School of Music & the Arts occupies the former Hruby Conservatory Building (above) in the Broadway Historic District of Cleveland. The Conservatory was built by the Hrubys (below), Cleveland's premier musical family in the early part of the twenthieth century. Four of the Hrubys were members of the early Cleveland Orchestra, founded in 1918, the same year as the Hruby Conservatory was built.